Thank you for volunteering for this Bowel Cancer Awareness Raising Event. You will be part of a team of Macmillan and Albion in the Community volunteers, Bowel Screening experts, Colorectal Nurse specialists and bowel cancer patients.
AIMS OF THE DAY – To make people more aware of the signs and symptoms of Bowel cancer; the importance of early detection and the NHS Bowel Screening Service and to signpost where people might find information and assistance.
- To engage with the public in a friendly and non-threatening manner
- To raise awareness of the signs and symptoms of bowel cancer and the bowel screening service
- To signpost people to other information they might find useful depending on their enquiry – leaflets or clinical information from nurses and/or screening services
- To record transactions on the day by using a clicker to record each person you speak or give information to. Please pass on individuals who require referral to one of the experts, who will record meaningful interactions on a record sheet.
DO’S AND DON’T’S :-
- Do listen carefully and don’t rush to give advice
- Do keep medical information limited. Experts will be there and you can refer to them or refer to the leaflets
- Do keep “on message”. Emphasise the positive and early detection focus.
- Avoid personal stories, unless you feel it is really appropriate and you won’t get emotional. Don’t overshare your own details.
- Do try to get into a conversation and try to get across the key points
- Familiarise yourself with the background information
- Feel comfortable. Wear comfy shoes, drink plenty of water and take comfort breaks.
BACKGROUND INFORMATION – Only use this information when necessary. Don’t frighten people
- Bowel Cancer is the 2nd largest cancer killer – more than road accidents
- 16,000 people each year die of Bowel cancer
- More people die from Bowel cancer than breast or prostate cancer
- BUT survival statistics are high if detected early. The 5 year survival rate is 60%
CONTACTS ON THE DAY :-
Denise Savage firstname.lastname@example.org 07816 329996
Ernie Milner email@example.com 07733 103940
Jackie Arkwell firstname.lastname@example.org 07967049988
Carolyn Phelps email@example.com 07880 195514
Chris Penny firstname.lastname@example.org 07967 028578
Geoff Brown email@example.com
Sarah Back firstname.lastname@example.org 01273 696955 ext64349